The Victorian State Flag
The Victorian flag was proclaimed by the Governor in 1870. The first reported flying was on one of the colony’s first warships, HMVS Nelson. The badge was changed to include an imperial crown above the Southern Cross. In 1901, with the accession of Edward VII, this crown was replaced with the crown of St. Edward, the flag has not changed since then.
The Southern Cross stars on Victoria’s State flag differ from those on the Australian National Flag. The stars of the Southern Cross on Victoria’s flag have differing numbers of points, to show their varying brightness.